Thursday, July 24, 2014

I have added some additional material to the readings for this week.

Here is the full list again

COMM 7712 – Week 3 readings


ADDITIONAL STUFF – NOT SENT TO THE CLASS



Most of these articles are from the Course OUTLINE.  A few are new.  Most can be clicked to open, but a few will need to be pasted into your browser.
Again, some repeat the same information, so you do not need to read through all of them.

These will be the primary discussion areas for this week. 
The lesson plan assignment is below.

Copyright articles

Classroom Copyright chart search

Classroom Copyright issues search results

a link from this site
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/videotaping/ http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/videotaping/

Classroom Social Media readings
Rules to Stop Teachers and Students From Getting too Social Online – link below

a link from that site

a link from that site – June 2014 discussion

January 2014


Social Media Rules Limit New York Student Teacher Contact
DOE Social Media Guidelines

Search Pages

a link from this page - 2013



Lesson Plan assignment
Please create a lesson plan dealing with having you class do something using technology.  Specifically, you should explain some aspect of technology to your students and have them use it, show it, demonstrate it in some manner.  It should challenge them, but it should be fun for them.
You may chose to design the lesson plan in whatever methodology you are comfortable with and plan to show it to our group as part of the hangout. It’s your choice what you use. Plan on the explanation to take between 10 – 15 minutes or so.

If you have any questions, please contact me.


Enjoy

15 comments:

  1. Hello 7712 - I've been trying to get into the Hangout but it's full :(. Anyone out there want to blog awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I read through the articles the more questions I had about my own particular school district. I also thought a lot about the readings we did in our other class about motivation. Besides it being 'THE LAW,' what would motivate our students to actually adhere to Copyright guidelines? Fair use is an important concept, and it seems that with younger children, especially, who are driven more readily by rules and structure might benefit from the earliest possible exposure to this. It's a lot of work, though, and besides civic values and and ethics, what is the motivation for kids to do the right thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was on the call but due to some technical problems was dropped. Subsequent multiple attempts to re-enter the call failed. Based on what was being discussed when I was dropped from the call, I rechecked the blog site and discovered the additional items that were posted this afternoon. I spent some time reviewing them and would consider attempting a blog with my students or possibly using the collaborize classroom tool that was included. I spent a lot of time this week reading about copyright. Much of it I was familiar with, some not. I think it's a good idea to be informed, and to teach our students good ethics. Students often ask me for copies of the music we use in class and I explain that I can't because it's copyrighted, or I give them a copy and explain that I got the copy from a site that gives permission to do so such as gmajormusictheory. I have emailed my lesson plan for the assignment this week and hope that information will be forthcoming as to how all of us will be able to share and also to see the lessons that others have shared even though not all class members are able to participate in the live hangout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill Gates has put together a Free Tool for Finding Instructional Tech Resources!
    http://www.gatesnotes.com/Education/Graphite-Connecting-Teachers-with-Technology

    I am always skeptical when big corps do this sort of thing…are the resources selected biased towards Windows or Microsoft? Maybe this is a question for Susanne’s class: How do big corps influence what we see, what we are attracted to and use based on our circles, our roles, and our institution’s choices? I’m not even sure I care – I am predominantly a Windows user after all and so is (most of) UNH. At first glance, it looks like it would help K-12 more than higher ed. Perhaps Bill G. has done me a favor by gathering tech resources?
    Well, I signed up…let’s see how much I use it as a resource.

    Blended learning done right is the ‘gold standard,’ say experts
    http://www.ecampusnews.com/top-news/humans-online-learning-902/
    By Meris Stansbury, Managing Editor

    “Across all four institutions and eight classrooms surveyed, there were distinct “patterns of behavior and interaction that generally cut across the classrooms, as well as the range and types of interactions that were distinct site to site.”
    Researchers found seven varieties of in-person human support:
    Humans as techies: make the on-line portion available.
    Humans as organizers of content: organize the material in ways that helped student’s conceptualization of the course.
    Humans as explainers: help to personalize a student’s understanding of a concept by adding creative examples
    Humans as expanders: encourage students to make connections to the “real world” with a focus on application
    Humans as feedback: create, score and review additional student materials (new problems, quizzes, or assignments) to ascertain gaps in knowledge.
    Humans as regulators: urge students to go at the designated pace of the course, not going further than one lesson ahead
    Humans as supporters: most successful with the effective implementation of community and peer support
    …not just any human will do—the instructor must be “highly skilled at supplementing the course with human-based learning experiences, such as making connections to ideas not programmed into the text, explaining material in ways not programmed into the explanation, or discussing and debating concepts.”


    Why Schools Must Move Beyond One-to-One Computing by Alan November

    http://novemberlearning.com/educational-resources-for-educators/teaching-and-learning-articles/why-schools-must-move-beyond-one-to-one-computing/
    Not only is this a great article but the comments are equally inspiring. I’ve wondered for a long time why we aren’t helping our teachers get accustomed to tech before expecting them to provide evidence of successful use of tech in their classrooms. The depiction of “putting the iPad before the horse” is an apt description of how we have dealt with the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. In response to +Lisa Scranton - your reply here reminded me of one of our readings for 7710, where the author was presenting the viewpoint that anytime a teacher pares down search results and gives students a hand-picked list they are including their biases and prejudices. Could we consider this to be the same thing? Bill Gates providing the filtered results? I'm pretty cautious about the Bill and Melynda Gates foundation; I know they do a lot of charity work but a lot of their investments run counter to what they practice. Keep us posted. If you come to EdCamp August 15 wearing a Bill Gates t-shirt we'll have an intervention.

      Delete
    2. I agree with your comment connecting to the 7710 article. I think teachers can try to make things easier (like presetting a search list), but it limits the learning that can occur. The final article Lisa mentioned stood out to me. I think tech education should absolutely occur for teachers. It's way too easy for a teacher to say, "research this," or "watch this." This isn't good use of technology. Students really need the skills to attack this technology and teachers need to ensure that this happens.

      Delete
    3. i agree with your comment on the last article,,,,teachers are so often expected to incorporate technology...any technology, just for the sake of saying they did, without ever being trained how to use it or how to use it in a pedagogically legitimate way beforehand.

      Delete
    4. Christel agreed! I found the hyperlinks on the entire site to be overwhelming!

      Delete
  5. Were we in class or in online discussion when we were talking about flipped classrooms and how different students respond differently to homework when it is online vs when it is a 'hard copy' assignment? In either case, the "Getting Students Engaged with Digital Learning Materials" article provided some good strategies for holding students accountable to the work and giving structure to the assignment, especially if it included watching a video before class.

    http://www.emergingedtech.com/2014/07/getting-students-engaged-with-digital-
    learning-materials/

    The two suggested strategies, using a KWL chart when watching the a-home component, and the WSQ strategy (watch, summarize, question) were helpful. The author of the article even included how to troubleshoot potential issues, like students saying they watched but didn't have any questions about the videos. Specific scaffolding was offered to assist students in coming up with appropriate questions. Very helpful if you're considering flipping your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the same article and posted about it before seeing this. It was good, but I found myself feeling a bit crazy with all the links embedded in the articles! It made me feel like I was running in circles!

      Delete
    2. Tina, I didn't read either of these two articles, but it sounds like I may want to go back and do that now!

      Delete

  6. Second week in a row that that the hangout was full when I got on. :( I enjoyed the Emerging EdTech Articles - I found myself getting lost in all of the hyperlinks in each one, and in a good way! If I were on the call right now I wanted to ask folks if anyone is going to try Google Classroom when it launches in September - it was in an article from 7/8/2014. I think +Cari McKee posted a link to it earlier this week. Anyone thinking of trying it? You have to sign up for it here: http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/education/ I'd love to compare notes with anyone who might also want to take it on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Week 4- I read "Getting Students to Engage with Digital Learning Materials- Two Good Strategies." The first strategy seemed worthwhile to me. It was Kirch's idea to Watch, Summarize and Question as an answer to "How do I make sure students will do work in a flipped model?" I actually added this idea to my lesson plan from last week. The second strategy of KWL is from 1986 and in my opinion, a bit dated. I think it's better for elementary than high school students.
    I read the "Pros and Cons of Digital Devices in the Hands of Young Students." My opinion is that the two sides are pretty equal. I feel that it all comes down to knowledge as power. The more kids understand the pitfalls of technology, the more they will hopefully avoid them.
    Finally, I read "The 5 Best Things I've Learned in 5 Years of Living EmergingEdTech." The points that stood out most to me were that active learning = engaged learning. It inspires me to incorporate more of these active opportunities in my own classroom. Another was to never stop learning, which I think is a perfect ending for this post considering that's what we are all doing by working on this certificate. I really think it will positively impact what I can show my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also read the Pros and Cons article....rather than repeat myself, I will just say "please read my post". Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Mimi Knibbs
    July 31, 2014
    I chose the following three articles from the list to discuss for tonights class.

    1: Game-Based Social Skills Assessments
    I at first thought this was a great idea, and then I read the part about the kids not knowing they were being assessed, and became concerned that then maybe the parents also don’t know their children are being assessed. Then I became concerned about what will be done with the data from the assessment once it is collected. Can/will the child be labeled or put into some type of therapy program based on how they play a game? Games are where we, including kids, are supposed to be able to play, even role-play, and so can we truly assess a person based on how they play a game?

    2: 5 Successful BYOD Practices and Policies for the Schools
    I am not only thinking of implementing a BYOD policy, but our school has one, and I have used it to a certain extent. The problems come when not every kid has a device, and there are too few devices to give out to the “Have-Nots”. In classes of 20 to 25 children, when only 6 or 8 have devices, it becomes cumbersome to they to partner them up...some children will be on task, while many others are off task and becoming discipline problems because the screens on some of the BYOD devices are designed for only one person to conveniently view.
    On the plus side, our school appears to have enough bandwidth to handle the traffic for now, and most kids understand and follow the rules...no texting, taking pics, etc…

    3: Pros and cons of digital devices in the hands of young students
    I agree with the Pros: Smartphones can give parents peace of mind...my kids have one for that very reason; There’s an awe-inspiring world online; access to a variety of music is increased; However, I disagree with the “Pro” every school supply list should include a computer….not every family is able to provide a computer for their children, especially if they have multiple children. I myself have four children, am I to be expected to provide four laptops or tablets or what-have-you?
    I am concerned about all four of the cons listed: Radiation; exposure to predators and inappropriate content; the permanency of everything put online--one mistake lasts a lifetime; and the possibility of disconnection from nature, play and people.

    ReplyDelete